Effective August 1, 2023
The following is a list of things we consider on tenant applications. This list serves as a guideline and certain criteria might be slightly modified depending on the property, lease length, and other factors. Please call our office if you have any questions or need clarification on these qualifications.
* We strongly recommend that the total household income be at least 3 times the
rent, at a minimum the net household income will need to be at least 2 times the amount of the rent. Income must be proven with paystubs. Independent income that cannot be verified with paystubs must be verified with tax statements.
* In addition, the total debt payments to income ratio cannot exceed 50/50. Car payments and other loan payments plus rent will count toward household debt payments. Housing assistance will count toward income but will not negate the income or debt ratio requirements. Significant savings (proven by bank statements) can also count toward household income.
* Credit score requirements will vary by property with higher rent properties
requiring higher credit scores. Properties with a one-year lease will require a
minimum credit score of 600. Month-to-month properties will require a minimum
credit score of 550. Credit scores below 550 will not be considered for any property. Credit score requirements will apply to each adult applicant. We do not accept applicants with no credit unless they are approved occupants only and not the main lease holder. We do NOT accept co-signers to supplement for low credit.
* Criminal charges will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Typically, any criminal charges within the last 5 years will cause an application to be denied.
* ANY felony charges within the last five years will cause an application to be
denied. ANY past charges (from any time frame) for sex offenses, homicide, stalking, or methamphetamine will cause an application to be denied.
* Past evictions and/or an unfavorable reference from a prior landlord will cause an
application to be denied.
* Our standard for occupancy follows the established HUD standard of two persons
per bedroom plus one.
* Single-family homes are intended for single family occupancy. A maximum of two
adults per property is our standard practice. We will occasionally accept roommate
situations with more than two adults occupying a property but this is rare.
* All CWPM tenants are required to purchase renters’ insurance and keep it active
throughout their tenancy. A $100,000 minimum policy is required and the owner of
the property and Colorado West Property Management must be listed as
additionally insured. Tenants must provide proof of insurance prior to moving in.
*Tenants who wish to apply using a portable tenant screening report would be
considered, however, we prefer applications to be submitted directly through our
website. The portable tenant screening report would need to include the applicant’s
current credit score, income verification, and current criminal background check. The portable screening report would have to be made directly available to CWPM from a consumer reporting agency. The screening report must have been prepared by a reputable tenant screening agency within the previous 30 days at the prospective tenant's request and expense.